Some Interesting Rail Data Today….
- Posted by ToddSullivan
- on June 16th, 2011
Total N. American rail traffic rebounded from the expected Memorial Day week slump to rise to 678K cars, the highest level in ten weeks.
What is interesting about the numbers is that both stone products (as in crushed) and metals, both large indicators of manufacturing and construction hit the highest levels in a year (metals, the second highest level). For those wondering about a “Holiday Rebound” off the previous weeks drop in those numbers, yes it is a factor but the degree of bounce vs previous levels is in excess of the last two years. Also, lumber rebounded to within 1% of its highest level in over a year and also the second highest level in over two years. These are all positive for the manufacturing/construction sector. After the slow rise in rail traffic for near two quarters now (note how GDP was unimpressive also) a pickup here would mean we can expect GDP to follow suit for Q3. Now, as usual one week means nothing, we need to see this follow through but the sectors that came back, and the degree to which they did is a positive sign no matter how one cuts the numbers.
To see more posts on any of the companies mentioned in this article, enter their stock ticker symbol in the search box.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
Todd's investing strategy is essentially long with the rare short. He seeks to buy undervalued issues with an upcoming catalyst that will help them realized.... More »
aapl acas ackman aig AN bac BAM BBI bgp BPO buffett CC CODi CRE davidson dow einhorn employment ETFC f fairx fnmas ggp hhc housing IGOI jcp jmba joe mbi mcd mgm MO oesx PM rail sbux seth klarman SHLD spg spy theory trade VIC xom
- Tuesday links: the secret of SEO | Abnormal Returns on The Private Economy is Doing Just Fine
- The Expansion and Employment | ValuePlays on Housing Thoughts & New Home Supply Sinks to 4.1mos
- Housing Bubble Hysteria: Facts Versus Ficton » CanuckPost.com on Why I Am Cautiously Optimistic About 2010 $$
- CRM Still Thinks -1 + -1 = 2 | ValuePlays on What Did CRM Buy in Buddy Media?? Increasing Losses and Cash Serious Flow Drain…
- Student Loans Won’t Kill Housing Recovery – ValueWalk | on Student Loans and Housing