Rail Traffic Continues Trend
- Posted by ToddSullivan
- on April 19th, 2012
The trend we have seen the to this point this year is holding. If one looks at the top # for total rail traffic it is essentially flat YOY at 666k cars v 672k in ’11. If one factors in the collapse in coal, the 28k car difference means ’12 numbers are comfortably ahead in ’11 in the other categories.
Here is the coal chart:’
Here is the total traffic:
So, what rail traffic is telling us is we are still seeing an economy that is expanding YOY which means we will continue to see positive trends to both GDP and employment numbers. The even more encouraging news is the “what” is being hauled number. Stone products, forestry products and metal are all at multi-year highs. These are the “building” components and this means manufacturing and construction continues to grow and that is VERY encouraging.
To see more posts on any of the companies mentioned in this article, enter their stock ticker symbol in the search box.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
Todd's investing strategy is essentially long with the rare short. He seeks to buy undervalued issues with an upcoming catalyst that will help them realized.... More »
aapl acas ackman aig AN bac BAM BBI bgp BPO buffett CC CODi CRE davidson dow einhorn employment ETFC f fairx ggp hhc housing IGOI jcp jmba joe mbi mcd mgm MO oesx pld PM rail sbux seth klarman SHLD spg spy theory trade VIC xom
- Tuesday links: the secret of SEO | Abnormal Returns on The Private Economy is Doing Just Fine
- The Expansion and Employment | ValuePlays on Housing Thoughts & New Home Supply Sinks to 4.1mos
- Housing Bubble Hysteria: Facts Versus Ficton » CanuckPost.com on Why I Am Cautiously Optimistic About 2010 $$
- CRM Still Thinks -1 + -1 = 2 | ValuePlays on What Did CRM Buy in Buddy Media?? Increasing Losses and Cash Serious Flow Drain…
- Student Loans Won’t Kill Housing Recovery – ValueWalk | on Student Loans and Housing