Rail Traffic Stays Elevated
- Posted by ToddSullivan
- on June 28th, 2012
Total N. American rail traffic was flat again last week at 690k cars (vs 693k week prior). I got a little fancy with the charts this week (fancy for me) and combined them into one. I think it gives us a better look at the coal/rail correlation and why the current numbers, while on an absolute basis do not look strong in reality are.
Were we at historical coal shipping levels (last 3 years), total rail traffic would have been >700k cars for much of this spring/early summer. Again, as we have said throughout this time period, growth….not great growth, but growth nonetheless.
One interesting data point. Lumber (Forrest products category) has not made an appreciable move yet. I would expect that to begin soon as home builders begin to ramp up production to meet increasing demand from home buyers. We have seen the housing numbers and new home starts and those going under contract as rising at an increasing rate. It is only a matter of time before that starts to show in the rail data.
All in all benign but in no way negative data
To see more posts on any of the companies mentioned in this article, enter their stock ticker symbol in the search box.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
Todd's investing strategy is essentially long with the rare short. He seeks to buy undervalued issues with an upcoming catalyst that will help them realized.... More »
aapl acas ackman aig AN bac BAM bbep BBI bgp BPO buffett CC CODi CRE davidson dow einhorn employment ETFC f ggp hhc housing IGOI jcp jmba joe mbi mcd mgm MO oesx pld PM rail sbux seth klarman SHLD spg spy theory trade VIC xom
- Tuesday links: the secret of SEO | Abnormal Returns on The Private Economy is Doing Just Fine
- The Expansion and Employment | ValuePlays on Housing Thoughts & New Home Supply Sinks to 4.1mos
- Housing Bubble Hysteria: Facts Versus Ficton » CanuckPost.com on Why I Am Cautiously Optimistic About 2010 $$
- CRM Still Thinks -1 + -1 = 2 | ValuePlays on What Did CRM Buy in Buddy Media?? Increasing Losses and Cash Serious Flow Drain…
- Student Loans Won’t Kill Housing Recovery – ValueWalk | on Student Loans and Housing