AIG Receives $5.56B of ML III Sales From NY Fed
- Posted by ToddSullivan
- on July 16th, 2012
From the NY Fed’s website:
July 16, 2012: Net proceeds from additional sales of securities in Maiden Lane III LLC enabled the full repayment of AIG’s equity contribution plus accrued interest and provided residual profits to the New York Fed. The New York Fed will continue to receive 2/3rds of residual profits generated by future sales of ML III LLC assets.
As of 7/12 that was $5.56B:
That still leaves the ~$7B they have coming from the ILFC IPO, $2B from what is left in the ML III portfolio (they get 1/3 of the remaining sales) and ~$7B in its stake in AIA that will be sold in September. Based on past statements from management, I would expect them to use most, if not all of this to repurchase Treasury shares which means at current prices they can effectively take 35%-40% of the share off the market before Thanksgiving and reduce the gov’t stake to 19% (this assumes AIG buys every share the gov’t offers, the gov’t can easily sell more to shrink their ownership).
I’m not sure we’ve seen such a rapid cap shrink in a $56B company before. That will also push BV from the current $57 to >$70.
To see more posts on any of the companies mentioned in this article, enter their stock ticker symbol in the search box.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
Todd's investing strategy is essentially long with the rare short. He seeks to buy undervalued issues with an upcoming catalyst that will help them realized.... More »
aapl acas ackman aig AN bac BAM BBI bgp BPO buffett CC CODi CRE davidson dow einhorn employment ETFC f fairx ggp hhc housing IGOI jcp jmba joe mbi mcd mgm MO oesx pld PM rail sbux seth klarman SHLD spg spy theory trade VIC xom
- Tuesday links: the secret of SEO | Abnormal Returns on The Private Economy is Doing Just Fine
- The Expansion and Employment | ValuePlays on Housing Thoughts & New Home Supply Sinks to 4.1mos
- Housing Bubble Hysteria: Facts Versus Ficton » CanuckPost.com on Why I Am Cautiously Optimistic About 2010 $$
- CRM Still Thinks -1 + -1 = 2 | ValuePlays on What Did CRM Buy in Buddy Media?? Increasing Losses and Cash Serious Flow Drain…
- Student Loans Won’t Kill Housing Recovery – ValueWalk | on Student Loans and Housing