Rail Traffic Continues To Rise
- Posted by ToddSullivan
- on August 23rd, 2012
Total N. American rail traffic came in at 700K cars last week. It marks the highest level of the year. If we account for the drop in coal (down to 130K from 140k-145k avg.) we are seeing the second highest number since we started tracking the series here. The highest number would be in wk 39 last year at 721K (149K of that was coal) so we ought to easily pass that in the upcoming weeks.
Stone, metals and chemicals had particularly strong showings. From an economic perspective those are great categories as those are “building block” materials for manufacturing and construction. It means we can expect continued strength from those sectors of the economy. Today’s housing numbers are indicative of that.
Here is the chart:
Bottom line? Nothing here indicates the economy is slipping at all…..
To see more posts on any of the companies mentioned in this article, enter their stock ticker symbol in the search box.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
Todd's investing strategy is essentially long with the rare short. He seeks to buy undervalued issues with an upcoming catalyst that will help them realized.... More »
aapl acas ackman aig AN bac BAM BBI bgp BPO buffett CC CODi CRE davidson dow einhorn employment ETFC f fairx ggp hhc housing IGOI jcp jmba joe mbi mcd mgm MO oesx pld PM rail sbux seth klarman SHLD spg spy theory trade VIC xom
- Tuesday links: the secret of SEO | Abnormal Returns on The Private Economy is Doing Just Fine
- The Expansion and Employment | ValuePlays on Housing Thoughts & New Home Supply Sinks to 4.1mos
- Housing Bubble Hysteria: Facts Versus Ficton » CanuckPost.com on Why I Am Cautiously Optimistic About 2010 $$
- CRM Still Thinks -1 + -1 = 2 | ValuePlays on What Did CRM Buy in Buddy Media?? Increasing Losses and Cash Serious Flow Drain…
- Student Loans Won’t Kill Housing Recovery – ValueWalk | on Student Loans and Housing