Rail Traffic Holds Gains
- Posted by ToddSullivan
- on December 6th, 2012
Total N. American rail traffic rebounded from the usual Turkey week dip to surpass 700k cars last week. As usual, if we adjust for the collapse in coal shipments (18k below last year) due to the increase in natural gas usage by utilities, we see a decent YOY gain in volumes which is good given the NE is still feeling the effects of Sandy.
Going forward, traffic should decline through the rest of the year and collapse post Xmas before rebounding hard in January. I would expect to see some significant gains early in the year as there will be a massive rebuilding effort in the NY area and that will require a mountain of lumber and building products. Those categories should remain strong irrespective of any “Fiscal Cliff” nonsense as railroads are the main shipper of those items.
All this remain consistent with a gradually recovering economy…..still…
To see more posts on any of the companies mentioned in this article, enter their stock ticker symbol in the search box.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
Todd's investing strategy is essentially long with the rare short. He seeks to buy undervalued issues with an upcoming catalyst that will help them realized.... More »
aapl acas ackman aig AN bac BAM BBI bgp BPO buffett CC CODi CRE davidson dow einhorn employment ETFC f fairx FNMA fnmas ggp hhc housing IGOI jcp jmba joe mbi mcd mgm MO oesx PM rail sbux seth klarman SHLD spg spy theory VIC xom
- Tuesday links: the secret of SEO | Abnormal Returns on The Private Economy is Doing Just Fine
- The Expansion and Employment | ValuePlays on Housing Thoughts & New Home Supply Sinks to 4.1mos
- Housing Bubble Hysteria: Facts Versus Ficton » CanuckPost.com on Why I Am Cautiously Optimistic About 2010 $$
- CRM Still Thinks -1 + -1 = 2 | ValuePlays on What Did CRM Buy in Buddy Media?? Increasing Losses and Cash Serious Flow Drain…
- Student Loans Won’t Kill Housing Recovery – ValueWalk | on Student Loans and Housing