“Mean Earnings” Explanation
- Posted by ToddSullivan
- on November 7th, 2013
It is the mean of the long term trend. The dashed line representing the channel one gets by connecting EPS Upper Band and EPS Lower Band.
The reason for using this value and not the current EPS is that it captures the behavior of Value investors like Buffett who buy the long term earnings trend. At market lows the earnings trend values capitalized by the “prevailing Rate’ gives the SP500 price level at which these investors enter the equity markets in force. Enough force to create market lows. In other words, Buffett sees earnings in the economy as a long term trend and can buy stocks based on this perception while all about are pulling their hair out in fistfuls and currently reported earnings are collapsing.
Buffett has learned by reading a great deal of history, A GREAT DEAL OF HISTORY. This is why I recommend reading The Ultimate Resource by Julian Simon. Value investors are the world’s true optimists because they understand human nature and our ability to pick-up after financial excesses and move forward.
Once you begin to see how investors perceive the markets, you come to see a very select few as getting it right, ie Buffett and etc, the rest are trend followers and say many silly things which confuse the average investor, even professional investors to no end. This is why I call the approach I use ‘The 1% Solution’ It is probably less than 1% of all investors who qualify as true Value Investors. The other 99% are following someone else or they are trend followers.
It takes a while for people to come to grips with this. It is very different from the accepted thinking and the billions of $s spent in business schools, CFAs and CFAs.
To see more posts on any of the companies mentioned in this article, enter their stock ticker symbol in the search box.
The information in this blog post represents my own opinions and does not contain a recommendation for any particular security or investment. I or my affiliates may hold positions or other interests in securities mentioned in the Blog, please see my Disclaimer page for my full disclaimer.
Todd's investing strategy is essentially long with the rare short. He seeks to buy undervalued issues with an upcoming catalyst that will help them realized.... More »
aapl acas ackman aig AN bac BAM BBI bgp BPO buffett CC CODi CRE davidson dow einhorn employment ETFC f fairx fnmas ggp hhc housing IGOI jcp jmba joe mbi mcd mgm MO oesx PM rail sbux seth klarman SHLD spg spy theory trade VIC xom
- Tuesday links: the secret of SEO | Abnormal Returns on The Private Economy is Doing Just Fine
- The Expansion and Employment | ValuePlays on Housing Thoughts & New Home Supply Sinks to 4.1mos
- Housing Bubble Hysteria: Facts Versus Ficton » CanuckPost.com on Why I Am Cautiously Optimistic About 2010 $$
- CRM Still Thinks -1 + -1 = 2 | ValuePlays on What Did CRM Buy in Buddy Media?? Increasing Losses and Cash Serious Flow Drain…
- Student Loans Won’t Kill Housing Recovery – ValueWalk | on Student Loans and Housing